Sunday, April 14, 2013

MY INTERVIEW ON PRIDE SERIES


Book name(s):
Dream Weaver (launch April 15, 2013)
Rock Star (launch Dec., 2013) tentative
Private Eye (launch June 2014) tentative

Tell us a little something about yourself as both a person and an author:
Well, I'm a wife and mother of four; my husband is Ben, my kids; Sarah (14), Josiah (18), Jack (26), Aundraic (29). My youngest two still live with us and our family includes a beagle (Dyson), a crested gecko (Reid, like Spencer on Criminal Minds), a garder snake, and two cats (Friday and Necko).
I was born in Little Rock, Arkansas but since my daddy was Air Force we moved around a bit. We finally settled in Spokane, WA in 1975. I always enjoyed writing and made up little poems for family on birthdays, Mother's day, Father's day...I stopped creative writing for several years and focused on curriculum for church Sunday schools, but the call was always there. About 4+ years ago, I read the Twilight series.  When I finished, I thought, 'I can do that.' So I did.
The last four years have been a journey through the literary world and process. I've learned so much and strive every day to learn more. Right now, I'm learning about SEO (search engine optimization), how to draw readers to your blog, and running an ad campaign on Goodreads.

What made you decide to be a writer?
Writing just feels like an innate part of who I am.

What made you pick this genre to write?
Most of the books I read are in the YA, paranormal, fiction genre. A lot of instructors tell you to write what you read. Writing should come easier if you know something about your topic. And what you don't know. Find out. Who knew when I decided to be a writer, that I'd have to also become a researcher?

Tell us a little about your latest book.
Dream Weaver is a YA paranormal love story of mind-benders and breakers.
Seventeen year old Emari Sweet has a world of choices before her. Her parents are real estate investors that dote on their beloved daughter. Her only true worries are bullying cheerleaders and cookie cutter kids that harass her dark and different, emo ways and the cryptic messages in her music. So when her parents are killed in a car crash, Emari’s whole world implodes around her. Night terrors stalk her sleep and haunt her through each day. And only the dream of a dark-eyed stranger can draw out the poison of the chimera.

Just as she’s recovering from the toxic dreams, just treading water to stay afloat, the violent nudge of a predator reawakens the terrors. He promises her two things; pain and fear. And on a snowy December night he makes good on his promises. Emari plunges head first into her personal hell and begins to feel there is no choice left to her but death--if only to escape the torture of grief.

As the nightmares once again shred her life, Emari’s dark-eyed angel returns. With the touch of his hand, he chases away her dreams and weaves magic that quiets the roiling terror within her.

But is this a real angel or something more sinister? Is he simply a figment of her distorted imagination? How does he capture her nightmares and soothe her aching heart? Why does he whisper a single word, ‘forget’, and evanesce into the cool grey mist of morning? And how is he entering her home that’s protected by a state-of-the-art alarm system?

How do you come up with your ideas?
Life. When I first created the concept of Dream Weaver, I wanted to tell a contemporary tale that would come across as real world. Much like Stephenie Meyers did with Twilight, making the vamps the world's plausible dark little secret. I linked the existence of Dream Weavers to maladies such as schizophrenia and multiple personality.
I remember watching a movie about JK Rowling's life, in which, she sat in a cafe watching two people play chess. And that's how she came up with Wizard's Chess. The other day, I was having lunch at a local diner (an historical Milk Bottle diner that was recently restored after a fire). On the walls are black and white pictures of Spokane from the early 1900s. As I stood looking at a pic of our old train yard, where crowds had gathered to greet President Woodrow Wilson, I got an idea for a scene for my book. So yeah, just little things from LIFE that I can manipulate in a creative way.

Is there someone in particular you would like to thank for supporting you through this process?
My mom and dad have been my greatest cheerleaders as well as my best friends. My husband has been my go-to guy for proof reads and historical and scriptural reference.

Tell us one positive thing that has happened to you since you published your book(s).
Since Dream Weaver hasn't launched yet, I still get to look forward to publishing positives. But in the process of promotion and networking, I have met some of the nicest people and some pretty darn good writers.

Tell us one negative thing that has happened to you since you published your book(s).
Well, I guess the thing I haven't really enjoyed is all the tutorials and webcasts I've had to sit through, but I can't complain because each one has had helpful information on every facet of writing a book. Oh, and I guess the rejection letters from agents and editors aren't so great either.

Give us your links to learn more about you and your books?
My author page on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17205213-dream-weaver
Link to my giveaway: http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/enter_choose_address/43878-dream-weaver
My blog: http://dreamweavernovels.blogspot.com/
My Dream Weaver website: http://dreamweavernovels.com/
On Twitter: https://twitter.com/DreamWeaver526
Author page on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DreamWeaverNovels1Novel page on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dream-Weaver-Novels/161085847251052?ref=hl
Many Thanks to Jill for reading and reviewing Dream Weaver. I appreciate your time and  input.

She is dedicated to supporting indie authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment