Sunday, April 28, 2013

FROM ACROSS THE WAVES: SAM WHITEHOUSE

A HAPPY SURPRISE!
I'm not even sure exactly how I met this young man, probably somewhere in a GoodReads thread. I read an excerpt of his writing and instantly fell in love. But, I'll leave that judgement to you. So, with no further ado, I give you...

SAM WHITEHOUSE
And he's adorable, too.


Sam, you're a relatively young writer but write like a seasoned professional. Tell us about your writing background and inspiration.
From pretty much the moment I realised that books were written by people, I realised that’s what I wanted to do. From very early on I read, and still do, a lot of fantasy and immersing myself in these worlds inspired me to create my own. I wanted more places to explore. I started off writing what I thought were books, handwriting them and stapling them together. But as I got older and into high school and my teachers told me I could write (previously I didn’t have a clue whether what I was writing was good or not) I started my first novel. Reading it back now makes me cringe, but I still loved the experience and journey of putting a plot together, filling it with characters, creating a world etc. Inspiration comes from a lot of things for me, other writers, other books, movies, landscapes (in particular for Prophecy of Three Quartet, landscapes helped). 

Is that Sam??
What genre do you write? Can you sum up your book in 100 words or less?
I write largely fantasy (middle grade-young adult) but I recently started writing a science fiction novel, the first in a trilogy, which I am really excited about.
Inheriting a responsibility for the fate of two worlds and being hunted by an insane witch isn’t exactly the life of an ordinary fourteen year old. But what can you do when your name has been written in a millennia old prophecy? Embracing this inescapable, potentially deadly destiny is all Simon, Evelyn and James can do when they discover they have to save a world they never even knew about.
Learning magic, using time travel, battling terrifying creatures, defeating a power hungry witch and averting an impending apocalypse.  Not exactly the life of an ordinary fourteen year old.

Share a blurb and/or review of a book you enjoyed.
Recently I read Chris Columbus’s (director of the first two potter movies) new book, The House of Secrets. It caught my eye on the shelf because it had an endorsement by none other than J K Rowling herself. How could I not buy it? It’s a superb, fast paced adventure, perfect for anyone missing Harry Potter or who loves Percy Jackson. 

What is your wildest dream for you book and your future writing?
I would love to be able to travel around the world, meeting people who have read and enjoyed something I’ve written. It would be awesome just knowing that something I’ve written is being read by others. Also I wouldn’t say no to a movie deal and a spot on the New York Times bestsellers list. But what I most hope for is just being able to connect with readers, like I did with the Potter/Percy Jackson books. Future writing… I am finishing editing book 2 and already writing book 3 of the Prophecy of Three quartet and book 4 is completely mapped out and ready to be created. I have a science fiction trilogy completely planned out and recently wrote the first three chapters but at the moment, University takes up quite a bit of time so I don’t know when I’ll be getting back to that.

Are there any indie authors that you enjoy and would be willing to share?
Joseph Evans’s Seckry Sequence was really enjoyable. Can you call Christopher Paolini an indie author anymore? Eragon was self-published and I really enjoyed that. Also the Silo books (Wool) by Hugh Howey, that man is an inspiration to all indie authors, in my eyes.

Who are your 2 favorite best-selling authors?
Yay! Harry Potter!!
J K Rowling and Rick Riordan (I didn’t even have to think about this for a second). Both are geniuses and an inspiration. I grew up with the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson books and life would be incomplete without both. I cannot wait for the new Percy Jackson movie, Sea of Monsters, and Rick Riordan’s next book in the Heroes of Olympus series. 

If you could be any character in any book, who would you be and why?
Percy Jackson! (Again, no hesitation) Who wouldn’t want to be the son of Poseidon and have power over water? Plus, he gets to go to Camp Half Blood which is an awesome place and I had a crush on Annabeth when I was a little younger. I would have said Harry Potter but being hunted down by an insane wizard isn’t high on my wish list. Then again, Hogwarts is a brilliant place to live… No, Percy Jackson, definitely. 

If you were doing an interview, what would the 2 most important questions be that you would ask?
What was the last book you read and what are you reading now? (I don’t know why but I always ask people this, I just love knowing what kind of stuff they read)
What is your favourite movie? (Again this is another question I ask all the time, it’s really interesting hearing how different people’s answers are) 

Is there anything else you want people to know about you?
Last book I read was House of Secrets by Chris Columbus, I am now reading, or rather re-reading (for the fourth time) The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan.
My favourite movies are Jurassic Park or JJ Abram’s Star Trek (really hard to pick just one). Also, I am a die-hard fan of the TV shows Lost and Fringe.

More Stuff You Should Know About Sam
He was born in Pontefract, The United Kingdom

He writes Fantasy, Children's, Young Adult

About this author

Born in 1994, in Yorkshire, it didn't take long for Sam to know that he wanted to be a writer. From the moment he understood that books didn't materialise out of thin air and that people wrote them, he knew that's all he wanted to do. When Sam isn't immersed in whatever world or characters he's writing about, he likes mountain biking, JJ Abrams tv shows (Lost, Fringe, Alias) and any movies directed by Steven Spielberg (Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones). He is also a huge science fiction and fantasy TV/movie fan. In books he reads everything from Harry Potter to The Hunger Games.
 
So there you have it. I hope you will all check into Sam Whitehouse. I think he's amazing. 
Prophecy of Three - Sam's book
 
Now, look him up and leave a comment what you think. 


3 comments:

  1. What an intelligent young writer who seems to know exactly what he is doing and wants to achieve. It seems like he not only has plans, but also knows how to achieve success. The world needs more young writers who have a full and proper grasp on the craft. Great interview and excellent responses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Paul. I am very impressed with Sam. I can just see all the teen American girls who love Harry Potter and books going completely nuts over him.

    Ooooh yeah! You're next dude!

    ReplyDelete